Review: Gu Family Book

I just finished watching a new Korean drama called Gu Family Book. It is AMAZING. Imagine a story set in historical times that is packed with romance, action, and supernatural occurrences. I'm not the biggest fan of historical Korean dramas, but this drama really wowed me and is one of the best dramas I have ever seen. At first I watched it because one of my favorite actors, Lee Seung Gi, plays the main character, and my K-idol, Suzy, played the main actress. But then the drama just got so good! There is so much politics, action, romance, tragedy, drama, fantasy! I kept telling myself that I'd watch just one more episode then bedtime, but that clearly worked... T____T


Episodes: 24
Genre: romance, action, historical, melodrama, fantasy, supernatural
Ratings: 9.5 / 10

Plot: The story begins with the short, tragic tale of the human Yoon Seo Hwa and the nine-tailed fox demi-god Gu Wol Ryung, who fall in love under the most difficult of circumstances. Their love is abruptly disturbed by the greedy Lord Jo Kwan Woong. Before the two were torn apart, they gave life to their son, Choi Kang Chi, who was born half human/half nine-tailed fox (gumiho).  Kangchi was raised by the Park family, who found him by the river as a baby. He was brought up as the informal protector of the Park family and their home. The main story in this drama tells the life of Kang Chi as he is forced to face the burdens of being what and who he is, and how his identity affects his relationship with the people close to him. Kang Chi's humanity is put to the test when he meets Dam Yeo Wool, a martial arts instructor who helps him discover what it means to truly be human.


Main Cast:

Choi Kang Chi -- Lee Seung Gi


Dam Yeo Wool -- Bae Suzy



Jo Kwan Woong -- Lee Sung Jae


Park Taeso -- Yoo Yun Suk


Park Chongjo -- Lee Yoo Bi



Dam Pyung Joon -- Jo Sung Ha


Kon -- Sung Joon


Gu Wol Ryung -- Choi Jin Hyuk



Yoon Seo Hwa -- Yoon Se Ah/Lee Yeon Hee (younger Seo Hwa)


The Loves:

  • Plot: so many intriguing plot twists and daring turns! Kudos to the director and screenwriter for giving us so many cliff-hangers! I love that the director chose to include the story of Kang Chi's parents in the span of almost three episodes. I think that added so much depth to the story and set up the later parts of the story wonderfully. The ending was also brilliant in that I would have never thought to make such a cliff-hanger ending! The ending definitely sets up a potential season 2!!

Yeol and Kang Chi's "first" meeting

  • Character Development: Most of the characters were so well-developed and dynamic, especially Kang Chi, Chongjo, and Yeo Wool. The character changes were at times gradual and at times abrupt, but for the most part they felt natural either way.

Suzy is so badass in this drama!

  • Chemistry: between Lee Seung Gi and Bae Suzy was amazing! They work so well together and every little gesture contributed to their sentiments and made the fan-girl in me squeal...lol. A note about Suzy's acting: she has gotten so much better since Dream High, particularly her acting in very intimate settings. She seemed to be able to convey much more emotion in her expressions and movements.

Their chemistry was amazing... I'm telling you!

  • Lee Seung Gi: need I explain? Once again, he has impressed me again so much with his acting abilities and singing abilities (he sang the OST "Last Word"). His talent for crying scenes is unbelievable... seriously! Watching him cry over all the emotional scenes made me want to cry each time :'(

baby Kang Chi, found on the river... isn't he so cute?!

The bracelet that keeps Kang Chi's demon blood dormant

The Dislikes:

  • Lord Jo's Death: NOT DRAMATIC ENOUGH. He did so much terrible things to pretty much all the other characters in this drama including murder, torture, betrayal, etc. etc.... He definitely deserved died a worst death. No pity for him here.  

The parents have a heartfelt story of their own...

  • Park Taeso: not that the actor playing him wasn't good, just that his character pissed me off so much at times! He is the older brother of Park Chongjo and he again and again fails to protect his sister. He demonstrates such lack of mental strength that it makes me want to wring his neck >:( However, kudos to the actor who was able to play such a frustrating character, tormented by the murder of his father by Lord Jo.

The evil Lord Jo who started it all...

  • Season Two: THERE NEEDS TO BE ONE. The ending literally screams season two! Not exactly a bad pointer, just needed to be pointed out...

Lee Seung Gi -- the dashing gumiho



13 comments:

  1. Great review, the only thing about Gu Family Book that was a bit annoying that you didn't mention was how Lord Jo's character wasn't fleshed out enough. He was the stereotypical bad guy and his second in command Deputy Seo was loyal to the point of obsession without a reason. It would have been better if they spent an episode/scene or so to explain and develop Lord Jo's and Seo's characters. And Tae Seo is just a complete wus. Now go write another review, demon monikey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the brief (but powerful) flashback to when Lord Jo first met Seo Hwa in one of the earlier episodes spoke enough about why he was after Seo Hwa (and subsequently why his greed could not be satisfied). I think Deputy Seo is just mental... lol. But yeah, Deputy Seo cold have had a bit more back story.

      Delete
  2. Is it me or are there a lot of similarities between this show and InuYasha? XD lol Couldn't help but think that as I watched this show! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful drama, I really, really enjoyed it.
    Once I started watch it I couldn't stop and I watched all 24 episodes in 2 days!!!! I did a GFB marathon… (I had only two days off and I used them to watch this drama… this is just to say how much I got caught by the drama...)
    Sadly there was one very bad element, the music: the score for instrumental music was good but 80% of the songs with vocals that sadly were playing during the most romantic moments were super cheesy and soooo boring! They took me out of the story completely and ruined those moments completely! Whoever decided to put those songs in the drama should be fired and banned from doing any sort of soundtrack for drama in the future.
    There was only one song that was very, very nice: "My Eden" by Yisabel and it would have been much better if they used it more often or if that became the main theme of the drama... but it was used especially for the story of Kang-chi's parents so it was present in only a few episodes :(
    I adored Kang-Chi, actually he was the element that caught my eye time ago in a youtube video where there was a list of cool dramas to watch and it made me curious to look for it online. His character was so sweet, playful, humane, strong and brave, I couldn't avoid loving him since the beginning. The actor who played it did an awesome job.
    The romance was very well developed and I ended up rooting totally for the two main heroes, I would have had more moments with them and their romance.
    Also sadly I watched by mistake a video on youtube with massive spoilers so I knew already part of the ending :(
    Anyway even if there were spoilers and horribly cheesy songs I still loved the series and especially Kang-chi…

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am really curious to where they shoot the last episode, the place was so beautiful can you help me to find it where?

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

I'm a person who has come to appreciate Korean culture through all my contact with Korean influences. I have experienced K-drama and K-pop fever, tutored five Korean kids, made more Korean food than you'd think, and dreamed about visiting Jeju Island and Seoul too many times... welcome to my world! 나는 한국을 사랑!